Columbia Bicycle Accidents Lawyer
Bike crash victims often suffer catastrophic injuries, even in relatively low speed collisions with vehicles. Due to the size difference of a human body and a two to four ton vehicle, the resulting injuries that cyclists incur in bike vs car crashes often include multiple fractures, whiplash, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injuries, and more. Bike crash victims deserve to be fairly compensated by the driver, and Simmons Law Firm can help. Our Columbia bicycle accident lawyers are experienced in South Carolina traffic codes, and fully understand a cyclist’s rights to our state’s roadways. We will hold the distracted or aggressive driver fully accountable for your damages.
Damages in a Bike Crash
Many bike crash victims immediately ask about the condition of their bike after being hit, even if they are on their way to the hospital. We understand the personal attachment to one’s bike; to many cyclists, it is more than just a form of transportation. However, your personal injury claim is likely worth much more than your bike, even if it is thousands of dollars. In addition to replacing your damaged bike and other personal property, you can also seek the following damages:
- Medical expenses;
- Ongoing and future medical care and procedures;
- Pain and suffering;
- Lost wages;
- Lost earning ability caused by disability;
- Loss of joy of life;
- Emotional distress;
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement; and
The Five Top Types of Bike vs. Car Crashes in Columbia
Drivers may see a cyclist run a red light or ride on the wrong side of the street, remember that rare sighting for months afterwards, and develop a dislike or even a deep hatred of cyclists over time for one reason or another. As such, cyclists often get blamed for being hit. Yet, a recent study found that drivers are solely responsible for causing bike vs car collisions in 60 to 75 percent of cases, according to the Guardian, whereas cyclists are solely responsible in just 17 to 25 percent of bike vs car crashes.
- Right Hook—Driver makes a right hand turn in front of a cyclist on the shoulder or in the bike lane.
- Left Turn Across Traffic—Driver hits an oncoming cyclist while attempting to make a left turn across the cyclist’s lane of traffic.
- Hit From Behind—Drunk, distracted, or out of control driver hits the cyclist from behind as the cyclist rides on the side of the street or in the bike lane.
- Failure to Yield From Side Street—Driver pulls out directly in front of a cyclist from a side street or parking lot.
- Intentionally Hit—Road rage against cyclists is common, and often leads to serious collisions.
Call a Columbia Bicycle Accident Attorney Today
Cyclist deaths have risen by 36 percent since 2010, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, revealing the deadly habit of speeding, aggressive, and often cell-phone-addicted drivers. If you or a loved one were hit by such a driver, justice often comes solely in the form of a civil lawsuit. Our Columbia bicycle accident attorneys at Simmons Law Firm can help. Call 803-779-4600 today to schedule a free consultation.